Sourdough bread. Sourdough bread is made entirely using wild yeast — with a strong, active sourdough culture of wild yeast, you won't need any commercial yeast at all. Wild yeast need a little more coaxing and works a. So why is Sourdough bread healthier than ordinary bread?
A simple flexible recipe, made with sourdough starter, that can be adapted to your needs. Sourdough gets its name from the acids that build up in the culture during fermentation. This type of bread isn't necessarily sour tasting. You can have Sourdough bread using 4 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sourdough bread
- It’s 250 g of plain flour (not bread flour).
- Prepare 175 g of warm water.
- It’s 50 g of sourdough starter (must be bubbling and well risen).
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
Sourdough breads use a fermented batter-like dough starter A portion of the sourdough starter is mixed with the bread's ingredients, while the remainder is kept and 'fed'. Sourdough bread is bread leavened using only wild, naturally-occurring yeast and bacteria. Sourdough bread has a wonderful flavor and can be made with the most basic of ingredients. Make sourdough bread from a homemade sourdough starter.
Sourdough bread instructions
- Mix ingredients for form a soft dough using a table knife..
- Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead lightly, just enough to combine ingredients. Pop into a greased bowl and cover. Leave to proof for one hour..
- After one hour. Take out the dough. Knead very lightly. If it feels sticky, add a tbsp flour. If it is dry add a tbsp water..
- Stretch the dough and knead to improve texture and rise. Leave for one hour..
- Repeat the above step one more time. Then leave in the bowl overnight to proof..
- In the morning, take out the dough. Stretch and reshape then rest for one hour..
- Repeat and shape the dough into a ball by pulling the corners into the middle again. Proof for the final time for one hour..
- Sprinkle flour over the dough. Place the dough into a lined bread in or dish. Score the top with a sharp knife several times. Cover loosley with foil or a lid. Put into a preheated oven at 220C for 20-25 minutes..
- Uncover and bake for a further 30 minutes until golden..
- Slice and enjoy..
Make sourdough bread from a homemade sourdough starter. See what top-rated recipes work best. Sourdough whole wheat bread is a Wonderfully nutritious bread. The long cold rise aids the fermentation of the dough and improves digestibility. Making sourdough bread doesn't have to be complicated.